Author Topic: Hooking the ankle to secure a takedown  (Read 336 times)

cwilson

• View Profile
Hooking the ankle to secure a takedown
« on: February 18, 2018, 08:45:46 PM »
The good news is that wresting is getting a lot better in Texas!  The scrambling I have seen this year has been so good and so high level.  Of course, great wresting pushes officials, and this situation is not being called consistently.  When somebody has a leg, when you go behind, cover the hips and hook that ankle, that is a takedown situation.  The question is, how far does the offensive wrestler have to go to get that call.  We had a key stalemate in that situation this weekend that should have been two IMO.  I know we would have got that call with a different official.  Actually, this situation came up a lot in the Region 1 tournament.  Lots of great scrambling, and this situation arose over and over again.  There is some difference between official to official on this.  Knowing what to expect is important for the competitor.  What is the official looking for here, and how can we educate all to close the gap from official to official on this call.  I know this is a tough call to make, but we are going to see it this weekend.  And the way this call goes will make a difference between winning and losing.  A stalemate vs a takedown makes a big difference in a high profile match.

gerardroth

• View Profile
Re: Hooking the ankle to secure a takedown
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 06:56:22 AM »
Did the wrestler (top) doing the go behind not just step over the leg, but also get behind one or both arms? 

Is the bottom wrestler on his base or flat on their belly or hip?

Are hips 180 degrees apart, 90 or close 0?