Author Topic: Edge of the Mat Wrestling  (Read 426 times)

half_nelson

• View Profile
Edge of the Mat Wrestling
« on: December 11, 2016, 09:38:20 AM »
There have been several matches that I have watched that one guy is obviously wrestling the edge of the mat to avoid a takedown. Why is this stuff not called? It is stalling according to the rule book:
Section 24, ART.3:
... it is stalling in the neutral position when a wrestler:
b. plays the edge of the mat

Also,Sectiion 24 ART.1 states:
each wrestler is required to make an honest attempt to stay within the 10 foot circle and wrestle agressively.

Why is this stuff not called? Seems the book is pretty clear.

cwilson

• View Profile
Re: Edge of the Mat Wrestling
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2016, 05:30:51 PM »
If it is blatant it should be fleeing.  You can not use the edge to avoid scoring.  If you push or pull somebody out of bounds to avoid scoring that is fleeing, not stalling, by rule.

half_nelson

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2016, 06:34:05 PM »
I guess my point is that if your wrestler is consistly wrestling with his back to the edge at the edge the book says your stalling. It is a simple thing to circle in towards the center.

rexanderson

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2016, 08:51:21 AM »
agreed - using the edge of the mat to avoid wrestling should be called as stalling. Using the edge of the mat to avoid being scored upon should be called as a flee (and possibly a stall, too).

cwilson

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2017, 09:36:15 AM »
I would like to see the new college stalling on the edge put into high school.  If you back out with no action, your stalling. Of course out of bounds in high school and college are not the same, so wrestling on the edge as it pertains to stalling can't be the same in college and high school

GlenDane

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2017, 09:22:26 PM »
I wish they would change the rule to read like freestyle. If the takedown starts in bounds and finishes out bounds it is still a takedown. Thus taking the edge wrestling out of play.